When I want to cook something healthy without feeling like I’m on a diet, I always turn to stir fries. Healthy? Check. Flavorful? Check. Versatile? Totes check. Oh, and they only require one skillet. Hooray for easy cleanup!
This quick and easy stir fry features chicken, broccoli, cashews, and a sweet Asian sauce. Of course, you could use any veggies you like, and I suspect it would be fantastic with other meats as well (shrimp, pork, steak…anything!). I just happened to have these on-hand, and they’re some of my absolute favorites.
Start by prepping the veggies. Broccoli…
Red bell pepper…
Slice an onion…
An mince a few cloves of garlic.
Toss everything in a bowl and forget about it.
Then get your chicken ready! Chop it into chunks — whatever size you like.
(You could probably chop them a little smaller than this.)
Sprinkle the chicken with a little five spice…
…and some salt.
Then in a separate bowl, toss the chicken chunks in a little bit of corn starch.
Next, place a large skillet (cast iron is best as always), over medium high heat. Add some canola oil…
…and sesame oil.
That’s good stuff right there, y’all.
While that heats up, make your sauce! In a mason jar (or small bowl), combine soy sauce, rice vinegar, and lots of honey. Set that aside.
When the oils are hot, add the chicken.
When it’s light brown on all sides, add your scrumptious veggies.
Turn the heat to high, and cook those suckers until they’re nice and flavorful.
That’s the stuff. Now add your sauce.
Mmmm….That sizzle is what dreams are made of.
Stir that around and cook everything together for a lil’ bit.
We’re almost done! Just dump in some cashews…
…squeeze in some Sriracha…
…and add the juice of half a lime.
Serve it up over some brown rice, and enjoy!
Here’s the quick-and-dirty!
- 1 head broccoli
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- Sprinkle of five spice powder
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1/2 cup dry-roasted cashews, unsalted
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons lower-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha
- Juice of half a lime
- Prep veggies. Cut broccoli into florets. Slice red bell pepper and onion. Mince garlic. Toss everything into a bowl and set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add canola and sesame oils.
- While oils heat up, prep chicken. Chop chicken into 1-inch pieces (or smaller). Sprinkle with five spice powder and salt, then toss in corn starch.
- When oil is hot, add chicken, cooking until brown on all sides (about 3-5 minutes).
- While chicken cooks, make the sauce! Just combine the rice wine vinegar, honey, and soy sauce. Set aside.
- Increase heat to high, and add veggies. Cook 5 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender and chicken is done, stirring frequently.
- Stir in sauce, and cook about 1 minute.
- Stir in cashews, sriracha, and lime juice.
- Serve over brown rice.
- For an extra boost of sweetness, drizzle some sweet soy sauce over the top before serving. You'll be instantly addicted.